Skip to main content

Freddy Fender - The Story of an "Overnight Sensation"

Freddy Fender

This is one of the albums I saved from a box of rather suspect records my mother in law found in her crawl space. It seems that no one was entirely sure of the origins of the box, but it was an eclectic mess of audible bric-a-brac. Mixed in with a very beat up Supremes double album (that couldn't be salvaged) were a few things that looked like fun. None more so than this Freddy Fender record.

I wanted the album because of one song: "Wasted Days & Wasted Nights" but the song here was not the song I remembered. The version here likely dates back to his original 1959 recording. It's hard to tell as the album credits are sketchy - well, non-existent. There's a certain charm to this version. It's rough and spotty in places but the bones of the song are there. It would be his updated version that would garner greater fanfare in 1975, coincidentally (not likely), the same year this collection was released by Pickwick - the king of budget opportunistic hits packages. I should have known it would sound like dogshit, especially with the little blurb in the top left of the back cover: "Electronically Enhanced for Stereo" - whatever that means.

liner notes

The joy to be had here doesn't reside so much in the recordings as the time capsule this represents. This was early rock and roll and the tracks are likely lifted from his early records that aren't listed on his wiki page, but are on discogs. The songs range from covers of contemporary classics, Barrett Strong's (he didn't write it but he made it famous before The Beatles or The Flying Lizards) "Money" and Ritchie Valens "Donna" as well as an interesting interpretation of "Jamaica Farewell" that I really enjoyed. Interestingly it was attributed to Freddy Fender on the record label, not Irving Berlin. In fact a lot of the credits seem to be gibberish.

Pickwick, baby.

The Story of an "Overnight Sensation" spans nine songs, and is predominantly centred on the do-wop era, and frankly was more fun than I expected it to be ... even with the terrible sound quality. It does make me wonder what his mid '70s output sounded like and whether he was really a country artist?

The redeeming element to this cash grab collection is the essay that's reprinted from The Music Gig from November of 1975. It pretty much makes this worthwhile. Freddy seemed like a guy who had seen some ups and downs but had his head screwed on right. I think the best quote from the article has to do with Freddy wanting to be an actor. "I'd like to do a Mexican bandito with bullets across my chest, a real sweaty, revolutionary character." The author of the article seemed to get it, writing, "The appearance is easily visualized, but not the disposition."

back cover
I wanted a taste of what Freddy Fender was like, and while I was disappointed in the recordings it did whet my appetite, and I'd like to hear more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...