It had been decades since the band last released anything, and then with little fanfare there was a Facebook post a couple of years ago simply stating a "new" album was coming soon from the Pukka Orchestra. I was intrigued, and patiently waited for more information ... and I kept waiting.
Then on March 22, 2024, it dropped, and I immediately streamed it. The songs on Chaos Is Come Again were originally released on their '86 release The Palace of Memory, and 1992's Dear Harry. I never did manage to find a copy of Dear Harry, and it remains on my list of wanted treasures. Now, from what I can see, Dear Harry contained all of the songs from The Palace of Memory except for "Goldmine in the Sky" which I'm guessing stylistically was out of sync with the rest of the album, but dagnabbit that there shore is a good 'un. However, all has been forgiven and it is here as part of the chaos.
There were familiar bits and pieces, but it was fresh too - mainly because most of the songs from Dear Harry were new to me. Without getting into an A / B comparison it's hard to tell how deep Tony and Neil cut away from the original recordings. Graeme's ethereal, now ghostly, vocals are front and centre - the focal point of the songs.
It's strange to think it's already been a couple of years since they dropped this one. I still play it on occasion and try and imagine what might have been. The centrepiece of Chaos Is Come Again is "Knocking on Open Doors," represented twice - once with a more acoustic feel, and a full-band version closing out the album. It's a wonderful song. "Is it really that good?" you ask ... for me, the whole album is. Results may vary, but music is in the ear of the beholder.
It's an oddly bittersweet listen, the bones go back more than 30 years and one wonders at the labour of love this must have been for Neil and Tony to go back and update their vision while remaining true to the source material. The reality is this is an album for the fans, and the fans, although faithful, didn't number as the grains of sand on the beach.
I'm not complaining, Pukka Orchestra has long been one of those bands who occupies a special place on my Mount Rushmore ... okay maybe not Mount Rushmore, let's call it a substantial roadside marker with a great view - something worth your time.The band only left behind a few artifacts to mark their passing. For those who stop to take in the view it'll leave an impression. The band was never pretty, although they made beautiful music. By going back and revisiting their past Neil and Tony rekindled the chaos and it is come again.


Comments
Post a Comment