Skip to main content

Delaney & Bonnie & Friends - On Tour With Eric Clapton

Delaney & Bonnie
I'd never heard of Delaney and Bonnie until relatively recently. It was like they didn't exist, and then one day they did.

Their names would pop up in articles and they would be name dropped by other musicians who were a big deal in the early '70s. It makes sense that they flew on the periphery of my musical radar as they were only active for a couple of years (1969 - 1970) and their recorded output actually outlived the band.

I found a stained copy (I hope that's coffee) of the record in a box of records my buddy Paul was getting rid of. The vinyl was in surprisingly good shape. My gain, his loss. More than he knows.

On Tour With Eric Clapton was recorded in 1969 in England, with at least one song recorded in Croydon, and by all accounts is the duo's crowning achievement, capturing them with an all-star cast of supporting musicians. Delaney & Bonnie had great friends. This would be their best selling album and it would be certified gold in the US.

Who were these friends?

Glad you asked, let me get my readers on because it's hard to make out the words on the back cover. Whoever thought the sepia tones and a brown font was a good idea was a sadist. Sure it looked cool, but dagnabbit, having to hold it up just right to the light to read the names is cruel.

With friends like this you're in rare company (I've written them out as they were on the cover):

Delaney Bramlett - rhythm guitar and vocals / Bonnie Bramlett - vocals / Eric Clapton - lead guitar / Dave Mason - guitar / Carl Radle - bass guitar / Jim Gordon - drums / B. Whitlock - organ and vocals / Jim Price - trumpet and trombone / Bobby Keys - saxophone / Tex Johnson - conga and bongo drums / Rita Coolidge - vocals.

The cover photo of the Rolls Royce features a pair of feet hanging out the window. Rumour has it they're Bob Dylan's. The photo was taken by Barry Feinstein, who would later become Delaney & Bonnie's manager. Apparently they couldn't agree on a live shot for the cover, so this is what they used. Delaney & Bonnie were so cool even Bob Dylan found a way to get in on the action.

This is also the only time I've seen the brother Johns listed together on the same record. Both Andy & Glyn are credited as recording engineers. That was cool.

Musically this is blues based rock and roll and it's cool. The band is on fire and Eric Clapton is a great addition, but honestly is playing the role of the perfect sideman and is there to support and not distract. The stars of the show are Delaney and Bonnie. Delaney leads the band through its paces, but it's Bonnie with her pleasing voice and wide, slow vibrato that brings the songs an extra depth.

While this sort of blues infused rock and roll was never really my thing, it was a big part of the late '60s and early '70s. Think Big Brother and the Holding Company, or Janis when she went solo. Her posthumous release Pearl was the pinnacle of this era.

As the applause settles after "Coming Home," a song written by Bramlett and Clapton, the promoter came on stage to talk to the audience. He goes on to say, "... one of the greatest shows we've had in Croydon in a long, long time. All honour is due to this fabulous couple Delaney and Bonnie, and a very big hand for Eric Clapton."

It was as if the audience knew they were part of something special. The cheer for the duo was huge, but after Eric's name, in his home country, the applause was nearly deafening. 

On Tour With Eric Clapton seemed to be in the right place at the right time and even Delaney comments at one point that "We've had a fantastic time and we've never been received like this in our lives and we appreciate it."

One thing that struck me listening to this was how come they weren't more well known? Sure this was a gold record, but after 1970 it was like Delaney & Bonnie seemed to disappear and be erased from the musical landscape.

Bonnie Bramlett had a hell of a voice, but it would be backing vocalist Rita Coolidge who would go on to a solo career.

Even Delaney Bramlett, who is rumoured to have taught George Harrison how to play slide guitar and who Eric Clapton credits with teaching him how to sing, seemed to vanish.

Of course I suspect the reality is they faded but never disappeared...

back cover
This was a really cool album that was a near perfect encapsulation of the times. Rhythm and blues was never really my thing, but it can be fun to listen to, and it's even more fun to hear live.

To me this was more cool than good.

Boy was it cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...